PUBLIC health bosses have launched a new probe into a food firm over a complaint that an Acocks Green family found a bug in their sweets.
Robina Begum said her six-year-old son Amaar made the discovery in the treat, bought from Sparkhill-based Mushtaq’s.
And she claimed her family was offered £1,000 by the company on the basis of a confidential arrangement after complaining – an allegation denied by the firm.
Environmental health officers at Birmingham City Council confirmed they were investigating the company, which was prosecuted three times for food offences between 2006 and 2010.
The mum-of-two said: “We brought the sweets as a tradition as part of the Eid celebrations. But I heard my son shout: ‘Mum, there’s spiders in the sweets.’
“I went to look and was horrified when I saw a worm-like parasite coming out of it.”
Mrs Begum filmed the bug on her mobile phone. The footage showed a creature with a red head crawling in and out of the sweet before its brown and yellow body completely emerged.
She said her husband Shahzada Ahmad, a 32-year-old businessman, complained to the shop and claimed within hours they were offered £800 and then £1,000.
But a Mushtaq’s manager, Naeem Tariq, insisted the bug would not have found its way into the sweets at the firm’s factory or shop.
“Our standards are very high and our customers come first,” he said. “I doubt this would be the case with a fresh box of sweets.”
And a second employee, who said he could not give his name, insisted no cash offer had been made to the family.
A council spokesman said: “We can confirm this alleged incident has been reported to us and the sweets concerned have been sent to our laboratories for analysis. Environmental health officers will be visiting the premises.”