How we use Cookies

Action is delayed over RAID threat

PROTESTERS against a travellers’ camp in Meriden have received a stay of execution from Solihull Council after fears they would be evicted before the gypsies.

PROTESTERS against a travellers’ camp in Meriden have received a stay of execution from Solihull Council after fears they would be evicted before the gypsies.

Last week, it looked like members of Residents Against Inappropriate Development, RAID, who marked their 600th day of 24-hour vigil last week, may be forced to leave the Eaves Green Lane site after their camp, like the gypsies’, was refused planning permission.

Chairman of RAID, David McGrath, had called the decision “extraordinarily unfair” as the group had pledged to stay until enforcement action was taken against the travellers, who are planning to take their case to High Court in March.

However, a council meeting on Wednesday, December 21, has now delayed any action against RAID until another meeting on January 16.

Mr McGrath, said: “The decision gives us breathing space to go back to the council with our own time scale for voluntary withdrawal. We’re adamant any withdrawal by RAID needs to be linked to enforcement action against gypsies. It’s not good enough that RAID and the council win all the legal battles, but they are still on site with no enforcement action taken against them.”

A spokesperson for Solihull Council said: “Yesterday’s Planning Committee has deferred the decision to issue an enforcement notice at the site of Eaves Green Lane, Meriden, until next month’s meeting. This is to allow appropriate time for residents to submit a response to the planning committee by 16 January 2012.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.