How we use Cookies

BIA ‘holding its own’ in recession

DURING March, Birmingham Inter­national Airport handled 674,301 travellers through its two terminals, made up of 563,105 scheduled passengers and 111,196 charter passengers.

DURING March, Birmingham Inter­national Airport handled 674,301 travellers through its two terminals, made up of 563,105 scheduled passengers and 111,196 charter passengers.

Paul Kehoe, the airport’s chief executive officer, said: “These latest statistics again underline the challenging economic environment we are facing at the moment, conditions that are affecting the whole of the aviation industry, both here and abroad.

“ I have always said this year will be a testing one, but let’s not forget that Birmingham is performing better than the majority of other UK airports and we continue to see the launch of new routes and airlines from the Midlands’ premier airport.

“During March we saw a 7.7 per cent fall in traffic compared to 2008, which mirrors the performance of February, illustrating the resilience of Birmingham when compared to other airports, which have seen a month-on-month downward trend.

“In recent weeks we have been able to celebrate a number of positive announcements, among them the granting of planning permission for a runway extension by Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, Emirates’ decision to increase capacity to Dubai, and the launch of Monarch’s Larnaca and BMI Regional’s Aberdeen services, all representing great news for local travellers.”

During March significant growth was achieved on scheduled flights to destinations such as Inverness (+107%), Krakow (+92.1%), Shannon (+56.9%), Prague (+46.3%), Alicante (+21.8%), Grenoble (+18.8%), Malaga (+15.6%), Dubai (+6.8%), Hamburg (+5.5%) and Dublin (+1.6%).

Charter traffic which experienced growth included Egypt (+60.5%) and Mexico (+14.7%)

Scheduled traffic accounted for 83.5% of the total passenger traffic in March while charter passengers made up the remaining 16.5%.

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.