A BRAVE dad wrapped his one-year-old son in a blanket and jumped 12 foot to safety as flames tore through his next-door neighbour’s flat in Smith’s Wood.
Heroic 23-year-old Gavin jumped out of his flat window with his toddler son before guiding his heavily pregnant girlfriend to safety.
A chip pan fire in Land Rail Walk had sparked the panic in the early hours of Sunday morning but Gavin’s quick-thinking saved both himself and his loved ones.
“All I could think of was getting my son and girlfriend out of there,” he said.
“I just wrapped him up and jumped - hoping for a safe landing.
“Then I told my girlfriend to hang out the window and I’d catch her. She was terrified.”
Smoke alarms had woken the family in the middle of the night as choking smoke poured into their home.
“There was no way I could open up the door because the house was starting to fill up with smoke,” said Gavin. “I knew the window would be our only escape.”
Nearby resident Stephanie Brown praised her neighbour’s bravery.
“It’s a horrible situation to be in especially as his girlfriend is expecting a baby in the next few days,” she said.
“He showed a tremendous amount of courage. There was no way he was waiting for fire crews to save them.”
A police spokesperson said they were called to the address at 1.45am on Sunday morning along with fire crews.