How we use Cookies

Candle causes fire

HEAT from a candle caused a fire in the porch of a Solihull house.

HEAT from a candle caused a fire in the porch of a Solihull house.

Fire crews from nearby Streetsbrook Road and Hay Mills were called to Silhill Hall Road at about 5am yesterday (Tuesday) after the porch filled with smoke. A smoke detector raised the alarm and a woman and her son got out safely.

Solihull-based crew commander Steve Wheeldon urged people to check that candles had been extinguished before going to bed.

He said: "They can be quite dangerous if left unattended. The candle was inside a ceramic pot and heat cracked the pot.

"The pot was on top of a wooden stool, varnish on the stool caught fire and created a lot of smoke. Luckily the smoke detector raised the alarm."

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.