How we use Cookies

Couple in mirrors fire alert

A SPOT of sunshine, reflected in a bedroom mirror, could have sent a home up in flames last week.

A SPOT of sunshine, reflected in a bedroom mirror, could have sent a home up in flames last week.

Olton couple Jerry and Liz O’Sullivan felt lucky that the freak conditions didn’t burn their house down.

Sunlight had reflected off the glass on to a window-seat, gradually burning a hole in the upholstery.

Luckily Liz had smelt burning at their Reservoir Road home and discovered the smouldering seat in the nick of time.

“I think we’ve been very fortunate,

“I don’t like to think what would have happened if the house was empty,” said father-of-three Jerry.

“It must have been burning away for a few hours, because my wife had smelt something and couldn’t find where it was coming from.

“Eventually she saw that there was a hole, about as wide as a thumb, smoking away in the bedroom.”

The incident happened last Thursday, one of the warmest days so far this year.

Jerry, who runs a carpet-fitting business, said people should be careful where they hang their mirrors

“I just thought it was worth warning people now the sunnier weather is on its way,” he said.

Actually the risk is greatest from September to March, when the sun is lower in the sky - shining direct through windows.

West Midlands Fire Service are called out to several incidents each year of sunlight sparking a blaze.

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.