TUESDAY 23 June 23 is National Falls Awareness Day and this year the theme is staying steady on buses.
To help promote the day locally, Solihull NHS Care Trust and National Express have come up with a number of tips to help passengers stay steady and prevent falls on buses.
* Using the handles on the passenger doors to help steady yourself when stepping on or off the bus. If you are having difficulty, ask the driver to lower the floor if possible.
* Asking other passengers for a priority seat at the front of the bus
* Taking your time – don’t feel you have to rush to sit down, you can ask the driver to wait until you are seated before driving off
* Have less baggage – if at all possible, try not to travel with lots of bags. These will prevent you from holding the handrails. A shopping trolley may be a safer option.
* Staying seated – if you need to ask the driver to give you time to leave the bus safely. Stay seated until the bus stops. Ask other passengers for help if you need it
Carolyn Lindsay, specialist health visitor, accident prevention said: “To help promote these messages and to help with any issues people have about safety on buses, staff from Solihull NHS Care Trust and National Express will be at Solihull Library on Tuesday from 10am – 3pm”.