How we use Cookies

Deadly hugs fear of patient

COULD hugs from her dad have caused a local woman to develop a deadly illness?

COULD hugs from her dad have caused a local woman to develop a deadly illness?

Judith Tomlinson, who was brought up in Shirley, was recently diagnosed with an asbestos-related cancer. She believes that it could be linked to the dusty overalls which her foreman father used to wear.

For over 20 years, Roland Adcock worked for Mason McCabe - an Acocks Green general maintenance firm. Judith thinks that he might have been exposed to asbestos during his time with the company, which has since ceased trading.

“My father used to come home from work covered in dirt and dust. His routine on entering the house would be to have a drink, chat with family members and give me a hug,” she explained.

“He would then take off his dirty clothes and have a bath. I helped my mother with the chores around the house, which included putting my dad’s work clothes in our old-fashioned twin tub washing machine. They were so filthy that they had to go through a wash on their own.”

Last year, Judith was diagnosed with mesothelioma - an incurable type of cancer which affects the chest lining.

Irwin Mitchell solicitors is representing Mrs Tomlinson, who now lives in Coventry, in her compensation claim.

Iain Shoolbred, from the law firm, said: “Judith was just 58 years old when she was diagnosed at University Hospital in Coventry with mesothelioma. She has undergone radiotherapy and is currently responding very well to treatment although she is aware that the long prognosis for this illness is not good.”

Now the firm are keen to hear from any of Roland’s former workmates - who might be able to shed light on the working practises at the time.

If you worked at Mason McCabe and Fisher & Ludlow between 1958 and 1982, call 0870 1500 100 or email



Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.