How we use Cookies

Fined over death of pub landlord

SHIRLEY-based pub chain Enterprise Inns has been fined £300,000 following the death of a pub landlord from carbon monoxide poisoning.

SHIRLEY-based pub chain Enterprise Inns has been fined £300,000 following the death of a pub landlord from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Paul Lee was found unconscious by a cleaner at the Aintree Hotel in Bootle, Merseyside, in November 2007, hours after he had turned on a gas fire in his living room before falling asleep.

The 41-year-old suffered a heart attack due to lack of oxygen on the way to the hospital and died the following morning without regaining consciousness.

He had worked as the tenant landlord at the pub, owned by Enterprise Inns, for less than a month.

The company was prosecuted after a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that the fire may not have been serviced since 1979 and the chimney was completely blocked.

The company, which has headquarters in Monkspath Hall Road, admitted breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. The fine was imposed at Liverpool Crown Court.

Iain Evans, the investigating inspector at HSE, said: “It is shocking that a major pub chain failed to ensure regular gas safety checks were carried out at more than 400 of its properties. As a result, one man has been killed and hundreds of other lives have been put at risk.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.