How we use Cookies

Future of NHS walk in centre remains unclear.

A QUESTION mark continues to hang over the future of Solihull’s NHS walk-in centre despite radical changes to the borough’s health services which go live on Monday.

A QUESTION mark continues to hang over the future of Solihull’s NHS walk-in centre despite radical changes to the borough’s health services which go live on Monday.

The well used facility, on the Solihull Hospital site, is currently ‘under review’ by the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) - the body taking over the running of medical services from April 1.

Anxious patients, professionals, and politicians have constantly praised the service and backed the Solihull News’ campaign, which began in August last year, to keep the centre open.

With locals still no clearer on what will become of the popular service, Meriden MP Caroline Spelman and Solihull Conservative parliamentary candidate Julian Knight met this week to discuss the threat to the walk-in centre.

Mr Knight said: “The case for retaining the walk-in centre seems crystal clear. It is one of the busiest in this part of the Midlands. Silhillians really value being able to get advice and treatment without having to book a GP appointment and it takes pressure off other parts of the NHS - the Solihull Hospital walk-in centre has to stay.”

Mrs Spelman added that the walk in centre takes pressure off Solihull Hospital’s Accident and Emergency department.

The CCG said it wants to create a ‘front door’ policy at Solihull Hospital, where all the services, including those at the walk-in centre, can be accessed easier and more efficiently.

Various other campaigns and petitions have also been launched across the borough, including one by local campaigner Maggie Throup.

The review will open up to public consultation after April 24.

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.