How we use Cookies

Industry crisis leads to vehicle show being cancelled

THIS year’s commercial vehicle show at the National Exhibition Centre has been cancelled due to the crisis in the automotive industry.

THIS year’s commercial vehicle show at the National Exhibition Centre has been cancelled due to the crisis in the automotive industry.

The annual event, one of the biggest in Europe, was due to run from April 28 to 30 but many truck and van manufacturers who normally exhibit pulled out.

Companies that paid for stands will be reimbursed and plans are already being made to reinstate the show next year.

This year’s event had been revamped and scaled down because of the slump that has hit manufacturers and component suppliers throughout the world.

Only about 290 exhibitors had expressed support for the show compared with 600 normally, and the organisers said this was not enough to retain the credibility of a major international event.

Last year’s show, one of the most successful in the event’s ten-year history, attracted more than 28,000 visitors.

The show is organised by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, the Road Haulage Association, the Institute of Road Transport Engineers and the Society of Operations Engineers.

Roger King, chief executive of the Road Haulage Association, said: “We have obviously noted just about every other show in this sector has been cancelled for 2009.

“But the advanced status of ours did not permit us to cancel without careful consideration.

“Despite a generally negative response to 2009, there appears to be a more positive approach to 2010.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.