Solihull Council has been inundated with hundreds of objections from residents responding to a controversial document earmarking sites for major development over the next 15 years.
Hundreds of homes are being considered for areas including Balsall Common, Kingshurst, Cheswick Green, Dickens Heath, Hampton-in-Arden and Solihull Lodge.
But during a consultation, the council has received 690 individual responses, two petitions signed by over 400 people and letters from around 60 schoolchildren opposing various developments.
Communities are concerned about loss of green space, over development and increased traffic as a result of the extra homes.
The next phase of the authority’s Draft Local Plan was expected to be agreed at yesterday’s (Thursday’s) cabinet meeting.
In a report made to the cabinet, author Dave Simpson said: “The majority of responses were from local residents opposing housing allocations, in particular Balsall Common where around 500 responses were received opposing development.”
Earlier this year Councillor Ian Courts, cabinet member for economic development said the council had a ‘responsibility’ to provide ‘sufficient housing to meet certain needs.’
The Draft Local Plan will ultimately be considered by Full Council and the Secretary of State.