UNHAPPY Meriden businesses claim that their energy supplier could have cost them trade, after cutting the power last month.
Firms in Main Road were given only seven days notice of the work and were offered no compensation for loss of trade, by their supplier, E-on.
The work took place on March 17 and was scheduled from 8.30am and 4pm.
Caroline Spelman, MP for Meriden, said: “I have been informed that only five days notice is legally required.
“I understand that it is sometimes not possible to prevent disruptions to electricity supplies, however, this notice period for scheduled work does not allow time to make alternative arrangements.
“I have also asked E-on to consider some means of compensation for loss of business, especially during the recession when smaller companies need to keep a flow of income in order to survive.”
Mrs Spelman and the Federation of Small Businesses are now calling for a change of rules to the notice of power cuts to small businesses.
Ian O’Donnell, managing director of Real Point said: “As a web based business our power supply is vital. With only seven days notice it will be very difficult to make the plans to ensure my business delivers an uninterrupted service to my customers.”
Jackie Hyde, duty manager of The Bulls Head, described the power loss as having ‘a huge financial impact on the business’. She said: “The Bulls Head is not only a pub but a hotel with 13 rooms. Without power we cannot take bookings in the hotel for the night before nor can we open for our lunchtime trade on day of the outage.”
An E-on spokesperson said: “In these circumstances we do not offer compensation for planned work but fortunately the work was finished ahead of schedule at 2.27pm that day.”