How we use Cookies

Man is fined for a false registration

A SMITH’S Wood man who lied about being CORGI registered when installing a gas fire and water heater for a widowed pensioner has been fined £400.

A SMITH’S Wood man who lied about being CORGI registered when installing a gas fire and water heater for a widowed pensioner has been fined £400.

David Jonathon Jackson, of Windward Way, submitted an invoice with a false CORGI registration number when doing the illegal work in 2008.

The customer, a widow in her 70s who lives alone in North Warwickshire, raised concerns about the quality of his work and the Health and Safety Executive carried out a joint investigation with the Gas Safe Register. Engineers undertaking gas installation and maintenance work must be registered with the industry body.

At the time of the incident this was CORGI, but now the approved body is the Gas Safe Register.

Mr Jackson pleaded guilty to breaching gas safety regulations and was fined £400 and ordered to pay £500 costs.

HSE inspector Peter Snelgrove said: “It is illegal for an unregistered person to carry out any work on gas appliances.

“Poorly-installed gas work can cause explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal and can also cause serious long-term health problems.

“Anyone who hires a gas engineer to carry out work in their home should always ask to see their Gas Safe Register identity card.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.