How we use Cookies

A MAN had a very lucky escape after two visiting off-duty firemen from Sheldon discovered a fire in his flat.

As part of firefighter Ian Sturmey’s work with charity SIFA Fireside, which provides support for homeless, disadvantaged or those with drugs or alcohol problems, he agreed to carry out a free fire safety check of the 40-year-old’s home in a tower block in Aston.

As part of firefighter Ian Sturmey’s work with charity SIFA Fireside, which provides support for homeless, disadvantaged or those with drugs or alcohol problems, he agreed to carry out a free fire safety check of the 40-year-old’s home in a tower block in Aston.

He and his colleague Richard Pringle arrived to find the front door wide open and thick smoke billowing out.

“When we got there we shouted out and found him in the bedroom putting his trousers on,” said Ian.

“It was quite obvious there was a fire in the property but he didn’t seem to be aware.

“In our opinion, he would have still been in bed if not for our visit. There could have been a very different outcome.”

Ian, aged 33, and Richard, aged 27, escorted the man out of the flat and alerted nearby crews at Aston and Ward End who extinguished the fire, caused by a faulty electric heater.

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.