How we use Cookies

Night marred by firework horror

SATURDAY night took a surprising turn in my house after a firework crashed through the window and started a fire in the bedroom.

SATURDAY night took a surprising turn in my house after a firework crashed through the window and started a fire in the bedroom.

It was around 6pm when my family heard the explosion and saw a bright, flash of light through the living room blinds.

My dad, who had been halfway up the stairs at the time, rushed into the back bedroom to find the curtains ablaze.

It had been less than ten seconds since the rocket had hit, but the flames had spread quickly and it was a struggle to put out the blaze.

Now as it happens there was only some shattered glass, scorched curtain and a few burnt fingers to show for the incident - but it could have been a lot worse.

If my dad hadn’t acted so quickly or if we’d been out of the house then who knows what could have happened.

Later that night, on the way back from an organised display in Balsall Common, I saw several fire engines go blazing past. More proof, if it were needed, that it was a busy night for the emergency services.

One local woman thinks that celebrations might have got out of hand.

Earlier this week, Joan Oliver brought in to the Solihull News office some of the rockets which were found around her garden on Sunday morning.

The devices seemed to have metal casing and the Hobs Moat pensioner said they could have easily injured someone.

“Imagine if they’d hit someone when they fell back down to earth,” said the 82-year-old. “Or if my grandson had gone out in the garden then he might have hurt himself.

“I’m not a fuddy-duddy and I’ve always enjoyed watching the fireworks at Bonfire Night, but when I see things like this I wonder if things have gone too far.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.