A SIX-YEAR-OLD boy was left bruised and bleeding in a Solihull store after his father claimed staff members failed to assist him.
Little Mitchell Gill was taken on a shopping trip to Maplin with dad Kash and older sister Elisha, aged 13.But while the family were hunting down a microphone for music-enthusiast Mitchell, the excited youngster accidentally ran into a pile of stacked CDRoms and fell over.
Kash said: "He kept clutching the side of his head which was bruised and grazed with blood trickling down, but no member of staff assisted.
"I told someone at the till Mitchell had hurt himself and he said the rack should not have been there, and then reported the accident to a manager who looked at the cut and said nothing."
"I was really disappointed; it seemed as if they had no first aid procedure at Maplin. What if someone was having a heart attack?" he added.
After complaining via email, the Gill family received a reply from a Maplin customer service representative which said the staff member on the till "did not feel confident enough in giving treatment."
A Maplin spokesman said: "Although we ask parents to supervise their children at all times inside our stores, we regret the unfortunate incident which took place.
"As a responsible retailer, we have strict procedures in place to ensure that members of staff are fully trained in first aid across our national network of over 150 stores. Unfortunately on this occasion, the member of staff who dealt with the incident was not trained in first aid and was therefore not in a position to administer treatment to the customer's child.
"As a goodwill gesture, we have offered to give Mr Gill's son £100 in gift vouchers to spend on toys in the store."