UP to 50 members of staff at Kingfisher Primary School could lose their jobs in the next two months - and it’s got nothing to do with the recession.
As part of a regeneration plan the school is on the verge of closing down with pupils bracing themselves for a move to the new site on North Arran Way in Smith’s Wood.
Joining them will be youngsters from neighbouring school, Bosworth Wood, which is in special measures.
The staff are likely to be jobless after the move on March 3.
Karen Adams, chair of the Kingfisher Primary
Parents Group, said that everyone is ‘‘highly irate’’ and are refusing to give up.
“We don’t think it’s fair that our staff who have been loyal, solid and very dedicated are faced with the prospect of losing their jobs.
“All we’ve asked for in this whole process is compromise, yet we’ve had nothing.”
She recently led a sit-in at the school, a number of protests outside the Civic Suite, and has even led a group of parents and pupils to the House of Commons to voice their concerns.
But she feels let down by Solihull Council. Earlier in the week the council agreed to a further six-week period for people to have their say on the proposed closure and move.
Ken Meeson, cabinet member for education, children and young people, also approved changes to the
primary school catchment areas and for a joint working group to be established across both schools.
“Closing a school is never easy, but doing nothing was not an option if we really have the interest of the children and their community at heart,” he said.
“We have sought views from everyone involved in this process and there is general agreement that
children from both schools should be able to benefit from the new facilities.”
The outcomes will be considered by cabinet when they make a final decision on the proposal.