How we use Cookies

Playing field homes scheme is passed

LONG-running plans to build more than 80 homes on Meriden playing fields have been given the go-ahead.

LONG-running plans to build more than 80 homes on Meriden playing fields have been given the go-ahead.

At a planning meeting last Wednesday, councillors granted approval to the housing development.

Meriden Parish Council had voiced concerns about the traffic problems which the scheme could create. A total of 35 letters of objection were sent to Solihull Council

Coun Ken Allsopp (Con, Meriden) agreed that there could be difficulties and voted against the proposals.

“I can’t honestly see how there’s not going to be a build-up of traffic. There has to be,” he said.

Plans to develop the site have existed in one form or other for over 20 years - with the most recent application being submitted by David Wilson Homes.

The firm told the meeting that there had been a lengthy consultation with local people earlier this year. As part of the project, the developer will build a replacement recreation ground in nearby Hampton Lane.

A spokesman said: “We’ll provide a new sport and recreational facility which will be completed and fully operational before any work commences on this residential development.”

Planning chiefs examined the project in detail and recommended that councillors approve the plans - which the committee did by a majority.

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.