How we use Cookies

Quacking discovery at Solihull home.

ABSOLUTELY quackers! A duck caused a real flap when it fell down a family’s chimney and landed on their roaring fire.

ABSOLUTELY quackers! A duck caused a real flap when it fell down a family’s chimney and landed on their roaring fire.

Helen Nash, of Cambridge Avenue, leapt off her settee after hearing strange sounds coming from the flue.

The 47-year-old mum had been watching a spot of evening television when soot started falling from the chimney. Forced to leave the room because of the choking fumes, the shocked resident went back in to discover the blackened bird.

RSPCA staff collected the bird, which has been nicknamed Sooty, and took it to the Wychbold Swan Rescue – from where it will be released back into the wild.

RSPCA inspector, Rebecca Cooper, said: “The most remarkable part of the story was Sooty was virtually uninjured. The chimney was quite small and he must have ended up falling straight into a burning fire and yet he somehow managed to escape almost unharmed.

“I can’t quite say the same for the house which was a bit of a mess after Sooty’s flying visit.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.