How we use Cookies

Restaurant fined for salmonella outbreak

A SHIRLEY restaurant has been ordered to pay £2615 in fines and costs after a woman was hospitalised with a rare form of salmonella after eating there.

A SHIRLEY restaurant has been ordered to pay £2615 in fines and costs after a woman was hospitalised with a rare form of salmonella after eating there.

The owner of the Fortune Inn in Stratford Road, Pak Fai Chu, was charged with four offences at Solihull Magistrates Court this week in a case brought by Solihull Council.

The 50-year-old pleaded guilty to the charges which included failing to ensure food was safe for human consumption in two separate charges, failing to ensure that all stages in production and processing food were protected by contamination in that Salmonella Menhaden was found on a cleaning cloth, and failing to ensure that the written procedure for cleaning of cloths was implemented as the bacteria was found on the cloth 15 days after contaminated food was consumed.

The council’s safety team acted when they received a complaint from the woman who had eaten from a hot buffet lunch on July 27, 2008. Officers visited the Fortune Inn on August 1 by which time the woman had been admitted to hospital. Test results showed she had been infected with Salmonella Menhaden, a particularly rare strain of the bacteria.

A fortnight later, council officers again visited the Cantonese restaurant and took samples from food stuffs and cleaning materials which were then tested. One of the cleaning cloths proved a match to the type of salmonella the woman had suffered. This was more than 15 days after the customer had first complained.

The council said four more complaints were subsequently received from people who had fallen ill with food poisoning at the restaurant.

Councillor Bob Sleigh, Solihull Council deputy leader and cabinet member for healthier communities, said: “This case highlights the excellent work done by our food safety team, whose prompt and effective response to the initial complaint potentially stopped many other people falling ill. It also shows that, as a council, we will not let the public’s health be put at risk and if a complaint is made, we will act on it quickly and appropriately.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.