A grandmother is demanding answers after claiming she bit into a bar of Cadbury chocolate and pulled a piece of wire out of her mouth.
Patricia Tudor, aged 67, was left with a sore mouth after chewing on the metal and is horrified by what could have happened if her grandchildren had eaten some.
The widow, from Sheldon, said: “It’s dangerous because someone could have swallowed it. It could have been a baby – it could have been my grandson Lewis, he’s only two and he visits.
“I would have given him that bar of chocolate and he could have had it.”
Mrs Tudor was at her daughter’s house, with her 16-year-old twin grandchildren Elizabeth and Terry, when she unwrapped the bar of Dairy Milk chocolate which was on special offer at £1 from the corner shop.
Luckily, the twins opted for ice cream and crisps instead.
She said: “I was chewing away and, all of a sudden, half way through the chocolate, I felt this sharp bit at the side of my mouth. I put my hand in my mouth and pulled out a piece of wire. It was a quarter of the size of my little finger.”
Mrs Tudor’s daughter Jennifer Moore, 37, told her to contact Bournville-based Cadbury which she did. She said that a woman from Cadbury customer care team apologised and said they were going to send an envelope which she should return with the wrapper and wire.
She said: “I said no because it’s too easy for them. It could have choked a child, I’m glad it was me.
“I’ve got a sore mouth and an ulcer at the back of my tongue. I have been taking some mouthwash. I would like them to give me an apology and something for what’s happened.
“It could have been a toddler – that’s what upsets me.”
A Cadbury spokesman said: “This sounds unpleasant for Mrs Tudor and we have arranged for the bar to be returned to us so that we can look into this.”