How we use Cookies

Smoke alarm saves life

NEIGHBOURS raised the alarm when fire broke out at a fifth-floor flat in Westfield House, off Arran Way, Smith’s Wood – and probably saved a resident’s life.

NEIGHBOURS raised the alarm when fire broke out at a fifth-floor flat in Westfield House, off Arran Way, Smith’s Wood – and probably saved a resident’s life.

Firecrews from Sheldon, Bickenhill and Ward End were alerted to the fire in the kitchen at 2.35am on Sunday (December 21). A pan on an electric cooker overheated.

The flat was smoke-damaged.

Sheldon-based crew commander Colin James told the Solihull Times: “Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus made a forced entry and rescued a 22-year-old man, who was suffering from the effects of smoke.

“He was given oxygen therapy and allowed back into the property. Neighbours were aroused by the sound of the activated smoke detector.

“If it were not for the combined effect of a smoke detector and diligent neighbours raising the alarm, the man would probably have had serious injuries - or worse.

“I told him that the smoke detector, which was heard by neighbours, saved his life.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.