How we use Cookies

Solihull family warns others over dangers of gas and charcoal barbecues

A DORRIDGE dad who could have died from carbon monoxide poisoning had it not been for his children’s quick thinking is helping with a fresh campaign to encourage people to use barbeques safely over the summer.

A DORRIDGE dad who could have died from carbon monoxide poisoning had it not been for his children’s quick thinking is helping with a fresh campaign to encourage people to use barbeques safely over the summer.

Dave Smith and his two children (Aaron, then aged 14, and Elise, aged 12) were affected by the poisonous fumes while on a camping holiday in Padstow, Cornwall in July last year.

Mr Smith, aged 44, had passed out and was discovered, lying unconscious, by his children - who managed to raise help. It emerged he had taken the barbeque into the lobby area of the tent after it had cooled down to help dry out some of his belongings.

He said: “The barbeque had cooled down, it was just warm but yet it was still producing these harmful gases and I think it’s important for people to realise that there is still a serious danger.

“My only concern would have been that the barbeques could have caused a fire but at that point it was burnt out and no longer smouldering.

“It’s terrifying to think what could have happened if my children hadn’t woken up. We’re lucky to be alive.”

Gas Safe Register, the gas safety body, has launched a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of gas and charcoal barbeques.

Sarah Hill, from the GSR, said: “The past year has seen too many tragic cases of people losing their lives during family camping trips. Many individuals are simply not aware of the significant risks.

“We are concerned that if the weather continues to be wet and cold over the summer more campers will be tempted to do this.”

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.