How we use Cookies

Suspected gas leak puts three in hospital

THREE residents - including a teenage girl - were taken to hospital following a suspected gas leak in Castle Bromwich.

THREE residents - including a teenage girl - were taken to hospital following a suspected gas leak in Castle Bromwich.

Paramedics were called out to the block of flats - in Roughlea Avenue - on Wednesday evening. Three people had reported feeling unwell and it is believed they had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “When crews went into the flat, they found two women sitting on the balcony of one of the properties. They were complaining of feeling generally unwell and both were having some difficulty in breathing.

“The 58 and 34-year-olds were treated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning using oxygen. They were taken by ambulance to Heartlands Hospital for further assessment and monitoring.

“During the treatment it came to light that a 15-year-old girl who had been to the flat earlier in the day had also felt unwell. She was contacted and a relative took her to the same hospital as a precaution.”

A spokesman for West Midlands Fire Service said that four fire crews were called to the scene at around 7.50pm and carried out tests in the area.

Following the incident, a gas engineer was called to the block of flats to carry out a further check.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odourless gas which is sometimes known as the silent killer. Around 50 people die in the UK every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

To find out more about the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning or the precautions you should take go to www.nhs.uk/conditions/carbon-monoxide-poisoning.

 

Journalists

Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.