CALLS are growing for Solihull Council to re-think plans to build more than 11,000 new homes in the borough.
Last week, the Overview and Scrutiny Board recommended a “wholesale review” of the proposals, which had previously been green lit by cabinet members.
The board called for consultation with local people and the tearing up of the current list of proposed development sites.
This, they said, should be replaced by a list purely to help with the consultation.
Solihull’s Conservative group had successfully pushed for the plans to go back to scrutiny, in a heated Full Council meeting last month.
Councillor Ken Meeson (Con, Dorridge & Hockley Heath) said: “This is the first time in generations that we do not have to meet top-down imposed housing target.
“We still believe that increasing housing numbers from 7600 to 11500 is not sustainable without significant loss of green fields and damage to the character of Solihull.”
And there was welcome news for Marston Green residents, who are fighting to protect an area of green belt land, threatened by the proposals.
Scrutiny made a recommendation to withdraw the specific plans to re-classify the site, off Coleshill Heath Road.
A spokesman for Marston Green Opposing Overdevelopment (MGOOD) welcomed the news.
The recommendations are due to go back to cabinet members at a meeting next Thursday (August 19).