HEALTH bosses in Solihull are alarmed by a new trend - which has caught on among Solihull students.
More and more students are thought to be using shisha water pipes, an Indian invention which is becoming more and more popular locally.
But a study by the Department of Health recently found that the pipes could be as harmful as tobacco.
That’s because smoke from the pipe contains high levels of carbon monoxide, tar and heavy metals - posing similar risks to ordinary cigarettes.
Denise Milnes, from Solihull NHS Care Trust, said: “We have seen more and more students who have high carbon monoxide levels in their breath as a result of using shisha pipes.
“It’s a worry that they think that the pipes aren’t ‘real smoking’ and believe that they are not as harmful.
“In one session with the pipes, these young people are inhaling dangerous levels of toxins which, over a long time, can cause cancer, lung problems and heart disease.”
Shisha pipes burn tobacco, which produces smoke - which passes through a water vessel and is inhaled through a hose.
Anyone who would like to know more about the NHS Stop Smoking Service can call 0800 015 8512.