A HILLFIELD man is lucky to be alive after suffering a severe allergic reaction to a wasp sting last Friday.
Jeff Rochford has now recovered from his ordeal, but he is urging other people to take care and to act quickly if they think something is wrong.
The 58-year-old had been cutting the garden hedge when he disturbed the wasp nest and was stung. Within ten minutes he began to feel unwell.
“It all happened very quickly,” he said. “All my skins began to swell up and I felt very confused - it felt like I was dreaming. If I’d been on my own I might have gone in to sit down and ended up unconscious.”
Luckily Jeff’s wife Julia was home at the time. Ignoring her husband’s claims that he was all right, she called the doctor’s surgery.
“I was terrified to be honest,” said the mum-of-one. “They said I should take him to A&E, but all the time the swelling was getting worse and worse and I decided to phone 999.
“The ambulance arrived very quickly and the paramedics began to give him some antihistamines and adrenaline. At that stage my neighbour - who is a GP - walked in and said that they needed to give him steroids straight away.
“I think it was very lucky,” said Julia. “I was speaking to the GP afterwards and if I hadn’t been here, or if he hadn’t got those drugs so quickly then he might not have survived.”
Jeff was then taken to Solihull Hospital where he spent the night. Following a course of treatment the swelling has gone down completely.
And despite his unpleasant experience - the retired British Gas worker said that the incident wouldn’t keep him out of the garden. Although he’ll have to carry medicine in case he gets stung in the future.
“Jeff’s always been one to get on with things,” added Julia. “You could chop his arm off and he would say he was all right.”