How we use Cookies

Leamington 1 Solihull Moors 2

F0r the third time in two weeks Moors took on Leamington, this time in a replay from last Saturday’s FA Cup game for a place in the third round qualifying, writes John Clothier.

Solihull Moors v Leamington FC
Solihull Moors v Leamington FC

Marcus Bignot had rung the changes from Saturday’s team with Michael Blackwood, Aron Wint, Matt Birley and Junior English all in the starting line up.

The opening phase of the game saw both teams breaking fast from defence, eager to impose their superiority, but it was Moors who opened their account on seven minutes. Blackwood found Gary Birch in the box and the big striker chested the ball down to English, who literally on his knees headed past keeper Breedon.

The Moors midfielder took a boot in the face for his trouble and it was five minutes before he could rejoin the game.

Leamington surged forward for the equaliser. On 20 minutes a free kick to the hosts looked goal bound before Jas Singh dived full length to push the ball round the right hand upright, whilst eight minutes later Leamington’s Ricky Johnson needed only a tap to score but missed altogether.

On the half hour mark, Leamington bombarded the Moors’ goal with four successive shots, the last of which brought a miraculous save by Singh with his feet.

Solihull Moors v Leamington FC
Solihull Moors v Leamington FC

The Moors keeper denied the hosts again on 37 minutes when a goal looked certain but Moors were stemming the tide and catching Leamington on the break.

That turned into the second goal in the last minute of added time when a scorching inswinging corner from Blackwood was headed home by Wint.

Nottingham, still suffering from an earlier injury, was replaced by Dom Langdon immediately after the interval.

Birley went close on five minutes and crosses from both he and Blackwood had Leamington under pressure.

Brakes had a chance on 55 minutes when Heath was foiled by the irrepressible Singh, and they finally got a reward for their persistence on 67 minutes when Johnson found space in the box to rifle a shot into the corner of the net. Leamington came back searching for the equaliser and Singh made two point blank saves to deny them.

After soaking up pressure for the first 30 minutes of the second half, Moors got into their stride using both wings to good effect but Leamington were in no mood to back off - with a minute of normal time remaining Singh yet again saved his team as he cleared off his line, whilst a shout for hand ball in the Solihull penalty area was waved away by referee Busby.

A hard fought win for Solihull Moors who simply refused to be beaten

The win sees Moors at home in the lucrative third qualifying round to Northern Premier League outfit, Worksop.



Premier League News


Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.