How we use Cookies

Woe as Solihull Moors' resistance broken twice

Solihull Moors endured a disappointing two days with a pair of 1-0 defeats.

Nasar Hussain Liam Daly and Jake Lawlor in action
Liam Daly and Jake Lawlor in action

Solihull Moors endured a disappointing two days with a pair of 1-0 defeats – the first at home to Guiseley on Saturday, then two days later being floored at bottom-of-the-league Hyde.

Against Guiseley, an early long-range free-kick from Ryan Beswick found the head of Liam Daly but the ball went wide.

Tony Breeden produced what would be one of many fine saves as he denied Adam Boyes. Then Dickinson blasted over from an acute angle on 12 minutes as the strong wind meant most through balls were impossible for Moors to chase, giving the edge to the fast interplay by the visitors.

Breeden saved well from Boyes on the half-hour with a fierce 30-yarder and a looping ball into his box was thundered well over the bar. Omar Bogle shot straight at Drench before Moors’ best chance came on 37 minutes – Owen Story blasting through the Lions’ defence, beating three defenders before slotting his pass to Bogle whose shot was blocked.

With the wind having dropped Moors started the second half in attacking mode. Fleet had a long-range effort well saved by Drench while Knights’ cross was headed down by Owen Story only to be denied by a fingertip save by the keeper.

With 17 minutes remaining Dickinson was red-carded for a dangerous tackle on the advancing Nottingham but Moors were unable to take advantage of their superior numbers. They were throwing everything at Guiseley’s defence but were undone with just ten minutes left when Drench launched a goal kick well into their half straight to the feet of Brooksby whose pass to Boyes ended when he was brought down from behind by Langdon. Referee O’Donnell had the red card out immediately and Breeden could do nothing about Brooksby’s well-taken penalty to his right.

* On Monday night, Moors faced a Hyde side who had taken just 14 points from their 32 games this season.

The opening 15 minutes saw both teams in attacking mode. Reece Fleet’s 30-yarder screamed just over the crossbar and his corner on 14 minutes was met by the head of Omar Bogle but again over. As Solihull broke from defence Bogle weaved his way into the six-yard box but a great save from Wilczynski saw the ball away for a corner.

In the 53rd minute, Daly received his marching orders from referee Wootton after scything down Hughes.

Although Tigers had the better of the play in the second half, it looked as though Moors might salvage a point from the encounter but, with two minutes left, academy player Ryan Masterton volleyed home from five yards when unmarked at the near post to hand the hosts all three points.

Moors travel to Stockport on Saturday, KO 3pm.


Premier League News


Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.