How we use Cookies

Workington 0 Solihull Moors 0: Play-off ambitions hit as Moors fail to register

Moors failed to clinch the three points they needed to keep up their play-off hopes.

By John Clothier

Moors failed to clinch the three points they needed to keep up their play-off hopes.

The hosts, bottom of the table, had taken two Rochdale players on loan until the end of the season, D’Arcy O’Connor and Godwin Abadaki, and having held league leaders North Ferriby to a 3-3 draw on Wednesday, the Reds were confident of another upset.

Workington started the brighter of the two teams and only Richard Taundrey’s goal-line clearance prevented Fernandes from scoring on nine minutes.

But Moors were settling and were unlucky when three minutes later a header from Rob Elvins just evaded the incoming Junior English, who was playing his 250th game for Solihull.

Dior Angus went close and Taundrey would have been disappointed his effort was high and wide.

Jordan Gough and English cut through the hosts’ defence on 20 minutes but Workington were saved by a desperate but effective challenge from O’Connor.

For their part both Fernandes and Abadaki were causing problems to the Moors defence with their sheer pace.

Halfway through the first period Jas Singh saved a deflected goalbound shot from Jackson but on 27 minutes produced the save of the day when Abadaki unleashed what looked like an unstoppable shot on target from 12 yards only to see the Moors keeper dive to his left to push the ball away for a corner.

Then Jackson shot well over the bar having got on the end of a long ball which bounced over Elvin’s head.

A powerful run from Omar Bogle at the end of the half ended when he was crowded out but at the interval the 0-0 score was a fair reflection of the action.

Marcus Bignot had striker Michael Taylor on at the commencement of the second period as he sought a way to break through and added Gary Birch on the hour mark to effectively play three up front.

The Reds had lost Abadaki following a strong tackle by Gough and Solihull were now in control.

Their best chance of the game came on 62 minutes when Bogle held off two defenders before slotting the ball through to Taylor.

But with the goal at his mercy his shot from eight yards was over the bar.

Moors were advancing in waves, with Geohaghon’s long throws making life very uncomfortable for goalkeeper Nizic, but they could not find the elusive goal.

Stuart Pierpoint came on in the 80th minute, allowing Elvins to augment the three up front.

Birch’s pin-point cross to Taylor was headed wide under pressure from Smith and when Bogle was up-ended in the last minute of play Taundrey fired over from the free-kick.

The one point sees Moors in ninth position two points off the play offs and Boston United, who they play at home on Saturday at the Autotech Stadium.

SOLIHULL MOORS: Singh, Dean, Gough, Fleet (Taylor 45), Elvins, Geohaghon, English, Taundrey, Bogle, Angus (Birch 60), Knights (Pierpoint 80). Not used: Acton, Denny.


Premier League News


Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.