How we use Cookies

Double defeat takes Moors out of two cups

SOLIHULL Moors went crashing out of two cups this week – although one of the defeats was to a Premier League club!

SOLIHULL Moors went crashing out of two cups this week – although one of the defeats was to a Premier League club!

The Moors were left disappointed after exiting the FA Cup to local rivals Redditch United, and also lost their tie against Birmingham City in the Birmingham Senior Cup.

Playing for the first time at home in the FA Cup - this the 3rd Qualifying Round – the Moors lost 2-0 to Redditch at Damson Park.

Solihull’s first chance, just before the half hour mark, came after good work by Jake Edwards. Greg Mills crossed but Lewis Price couldn’t control his headed attempt as it flew over the bar.

Solihull were pegged back on 36 minutes, when Jack Byrne delivered a good corner into the box and centre back Liam Francis headed home emphatically from eight yards.

The second half started slowly but Redditch soon doubled their lead. After a good ball over the top, Byrne ran through on goal and slotted home.

Solihull responded well and Liam Daly, Lee Downes, Jon Douglas and Theo Streete all had chances to bring Solihull back into the game, but failed to hit the back of the net.

Despite a late penalty shout from Mark Gardner, Solihull were unable to break down the resilient Redditch defence as they went out of the FA Cup.

On Tuesday night the Moors were at home again, this time in the Senior Cup against a strong Blues side, which included the likes of Liam Ridgewell, Lee Carsley and Marcus Bent.

The Moors began the game the better of the two sides, with a number of ex-Birmingham players in the starting 11 looking to make a point.

Mills, Peter Faulds and James McPikethe all went close in the opening exchanges but Blues delivered a sucker punch when they grabbed the opening gaol on the stroke of half time, Lee Carsley coolly rounding the keeper and slotting home.

But in injury time the Moors had a chance to bring the scores level from the penalty spot - after Gardner was brought down - but the shot was saved.

The Blues made Solihull pay for that miss when well-travelled striker Marcus Bent curled a great free-kick past Crane

from 25 yards out in the second half.

The Moors had chances to get back into the game, hitting the bar and post, but Birmingham made the game safe following Brice Ntambwe’s bullet header. The Moors scored a late consolation goal, through, to make the final score 3-1.


Premier League News


Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.