How we use Cookies

Highgate put opponents under pressure for win

HIGHGATE made great strides in moving away from the relegation zone after recording their first league double of the season at the weekend.

Highgate United 2

Coleshill Town 1

HIGHGATE made great strides in moving away from the relegation zone after recording their first league double of the season at the weekend.

Thankful for the cushion of a two-goal half time lead, Highgate soaked up constant second half Coleshill pressure to hold out for a crucial win.

Coleshill, who came into the game on the back of a three-match winning run, started the stronger of the two sides with former Highgate striker Chris Gummery causing all the early problems.

But it was Highgate, who gave debuts to Keenan Meekin-Richards (Rocester), Allando Davis (Rugby Town) and Michael Williams (Romulus), who opened the scoring.

A quick break out of defence set up Shawn Salmon to cross over the face of goal to brother Tobias, who was on hand to score with the simplest of close range tap-ins.

Salmon saw another goal bound attempt deflected over the bar but the home side were then to find themselves grateful to Perry Cox for making two outstanding saves to deny Gummery and Marvin Johnson.

Gate extended their lead seven minutes before the break when Liam Givans played the perfect ball for Salmon to find the back of the net.

After the break, Gate conceded both midfield and possession, and with the visitors well on top, it became constant one way traffic towards the home goal.

The pressure told on the hour mark when Marvin Johnson reduced the arrears following a strong run through the home defence, the wide man then curling a 25-yard free kick narrowly wide.

Cox was again forced to save from Robinson, with Johnson drilling the loose ball carelessly past the far upright.

In the late stages, the visitors poured forward in search of what was to prove an elusive equaliser, going closest with the last kick of the game when Richard Deeming was on hand to clear Gummery’s attempt off the line.


Shirley Athletic 1

Hawkes Mill Sports 2

A LAST minute goal killed off Shirley’s cup dream after five weeks of no competitive football.

Hawkes Mill, who lie fourth in the Coventry Alliance Premier, had the better of the opening 20 minutes, but failed to produce anything of real significance.

Shirley resorted to the counter-attack, but only had long range efforts from Craig Wilson and Ben Ince to note. Then, a move down the right resulted in a cross, which Scott Kite failed to convert from six yards.

Another period of pressure from Hawles Mill saw them take the lead, with their left back scoring a wonder goal from all of 30 yards.

The second half completely belonged to Shirley though, as they pinned their opponents in their own half. Jez Tweede was unlucky, when he beat the ‘keeper to the ball, but his 25 yard lob just landed to the right of the goal.

Great link-up play in the Hawkes Mill area, resulted in a dubious penalty being awarded in Shirley’s favour. Ryan Long stepped up, but his strike down the middle was palmed out, only for Mike Mountford to blaze over the rebound from five yards.

A second penalty was awarded to Shirley after Ryan Long was upended in the area - this time Ince making no mistake.

With the game destined for extra time, it was Shirley looking more likely to progress to the quarter finals, but a rare counter attack down Shirley’s left resulted in the Hawkes Mill winner three minutes into injury time.

Birmingham Junior Cup - Quarter Final

Wollescote Villa 1

Silhill FC 4

IN THE tenth minute, Villa’s long throw to the front post was lifted over Silhill’s stalwart player-manager Andy Masters by the home side’s top scorer Craig Malpass to take the lead.

Silhill’s man-of-the-match centre back Tommy Smith kept his team’s hopes alive with an heroic display of defending, which saw Silhill go into the break with just a goal deficit.

A half time grilling saw Silhill come storming out in the second half, and it took only four minutes for them to grab the equaliser. Oliver Parry struck the ball through a forest of legs after Curtis Karim’s right side corner had rebounded to him.

On 57 minutes, receiving from David Icke, danger-man Steve Smith was pulled down in the box, but the usually deadly Karim missed his penalty.

In the 62nd minute, following debutant Luke Egerton’s ball down the line and cross, the goal-hungry Karim rocketed the 2-1 into the corner of the net.

In the 66th minute, substitute midfielder Darren Lea received a corner to strike in a 20-yard piledriver for 3-1. And to make things safe, Tommy Smith scored in the 85th minute after receiving Karim’s cross.

Birmingham AFA Junior Cup - Round 3

Old Wulfrunians (2nds) 10

Silhill (2nds) 0

AN under-strength and lack lustre Silhill Reserves team bowed out of the cup after conceding four times in the first half and six in the second.

Sils were unable to stop the home forwards, who kept charging through the middle to score.


Premier League News


Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.