How we use Cookies

Last gasp woe as Olton sunk by 50 metre pass

Brooklands Poynton 2 - 1 Olton Ladies

Brooklands Poynton 2 - 1 Olton Ladies

BOTH teams came out of the blocks at full pace and some excellent end-to-end hockey was on view for spectators.

With just nine minutes gone Rachel Mack was in a perfect position to get on the end of a fiercely driven cross from Rachel Walker, to deflect into the net and give Olton the lead.

The second half saw Poynton change tactics, pushing higher up the pitch and overloading their midfield and attack.

After 15 minutes they got their reward when, from a short corner, Phillippa Jones turned cleverly on the ball to equalise.

Poynton continued to press and Olton were unlucky not to capitalize on the space this allowed them up front - hitting the posts twice.

The game looked liked heading for a draw when, with less than two minutes to go, Olton were caught out with a 50 metre ball which was gratefully latched on to by Jane Ambler.

Blossomfield 2 - 5 Boots

PLAYING against the second placed team in the division, Bloss Ladies went two goals down within just ten minutes.

Moments before half time Boots then sneaked in another from a short corner.

The second half saw Bloss come out fighting and through some great play from Katie Morton, they won a short corner, which was clinically converted by Nic Horton.

Shortly afterwards Boots also scored off a short corner, but Bloss were quick to respond, with Vic Luckett hammering one home in the 54th minute.

North Notts (2nds) 1 - 7 Olton (2nds)

IN one of only two games to survive the weather this weekend, Olton 2nds travelled to Nottingham in a bid to consolidate their position at the top of the table.

They travelled back to snowy Solihull having dispatched their opponents 7-1, with goals from Matt Ayling (3), Nick Jones, Ed O’Mahoney, Jonathan Coleman and Ed Waters.

Ludlow 2 - 3 Old Silhillians

THE Sils began well and within the opening minutes had taken full control of the game through Jamie Clapham and Gary Perkins.

Midway through the first half, the Sils took a deserved lead through Max Levenger after some excellent work from Liam Cole.

Ludlow then hit the Sils on the break twice to grab an unforseen 2-1 lead with ten minutes left. It looked like Sils were heading for an unlikely defeat until captain Matt Fell surged forward, and after a smart one-two with Cole, volleyed the ball into the net.

With just five minutes to go, Jamie Clapham took a quick free hit and saw his shot saved, but man of the match Cole slotted it home.


Premier League News


Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.