How we use Cookies

Stoppage time winner caps five star fightback

Highgate United 5 Malvern Town 4

Highgate United 5 Malvern Town 4

MATT Collins’ strike deep into stoppage time completed a remarkable comeback for Highgate.

With five second half goals they recovered from being three down at the break. The home side conceded for the first time after 11 minutes, when a corner skidded in off defender Craig Gaszieski’s head for an own goal. Five minutes later another defensive error was pounced on by Ross Kendall.

On the half-hour mark Malvern’s centre half Jordan Street scored their third.

A double substitution and an outright attacking formation changed the course of the game, and within a minute of the restart Trevor Edwards fired home from 20 yards. Tom Stone scored next, with a shot hit in off the underside of the cross bar. Malvern’s experienced striker Stuart Hall scored an outstanding fourth goal with a 74th minute shot on the turn.

Within a minute new signing Lawrence O’Neill squeezed the ball between keeper and post from the narrowest of angles. With five minutes remaining, Liam Florey headed in Collins’ cross from wide on the left to equalise.

In the dying seconds a free kick on the edge of the box was laid back for Collins’ sweetly-struck drive to seal the win.

Loughborough Uni 2

Highgate United 3

TUESDAY night saw a third consecutive win for Highgate , over the league leaders.

A 13th-minute Loughborough own goal gave Gate the lead. On 22 minutes Matt Collins scored with a far-post header. The home side pulled one back on 57 minutes when Sam MacVicar lobbed ‘keeper Shawn Hoccum from 12 yards out.

Five minutes from time Raul Alexis drilled home an equaliser. But Loughborough defender Jack McIlmore handled, and Craig Gasziewski converted the resulting penalty.

On Saturday Gate entertain Studley(ko 3pm)


Premier League News


Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.