How we use Cookies

Flintshire Freeze 6 Solihull Barons 5

RENAULT Solihull Barons looked to be on the way to a comeback when they overturned a 3-0 deficit.

RENAULT Solihull Barons looked to be on the way to a comeback when they overturned a 3-0 deficit.

But a lapse of concentration late on, coupled with a poor refereeing decision, cost them dear in ENIHL Division Two

A disastrous start for the Barons saw the hosts controversially take the lead after just two minutes.

An obvious hand pass that was missed by the officials gave Barons’ netminder Dave Roxburgh little time to react to a lucky sweep off the stick from the shot.

The early goal gave Flintshire the momentum and they shocked the visitors with another two quick-fire goals leaving stunned Barons 3-0 down with less than six minutes on the clock.

But the away side were eager to get back into the game after losing just once to their opponents in their last four outings.

On 11 minutes Dale White set up Ben Woolaston who fired in their first reply.

A regrouping between periods then saw the Barons take to the ice with renewed confidence and they found themselves back in the game when Rob Ely pulled another back on 21 minutes.

Just minutes later Eric Bakalar hammered home the equaliser after Phil Lee and Neil Adams had combined well to set him up.

Both teams were determined to win in an even game with little physical play and few penalties - of which the Barons converted none.

Adams once again was the provider as he set up Ely for his second of the game but two Freeze goals late on put the home side back into the lead.

Ely completed his hat-trick in the final period but Freeze hit in the winner after a save by Roxburgh that saw him lose site of the puck on the rebound, and was unlucky to have it tucked away past his toe.

Barons’ next home game is February 21 against Bradford Bulldogs (5pm).



Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.