How we use Cookies

Olton claim victory

Durham University 1st XI 0

Durham University 1st XI 0

Olton 1st XI 3

A TOUGH weekend of fixtures began for Olton with a trip to the North-East.

Durham had been top of the EHL Conference North up until two weeks ago and were looking to bounce back.

They began well taking the lead on 16 minutes through Dom Foster.

Despite forcing a number of short corners Olton struggled to get back into the game, and at half time found themselves a goal down.

However the break revitalised the visitors and they started the brighter of the two sides. Eddie James and Angus Grieve applied pressure but a goal was elusive.

On 60 minutes Olton showed their class with three goals in three minutes. Chris George netted the first, swiftly followed by Daniel Sulway’s effort from a short corner routine and Jack Mallett made it three.

Durham tried to strike back but Olton professionally saw out the game to claim the points and move up to third in the league, just two points off the top.

Chelmsford 1st XI 2

Olton 1st XI 1

Olton made the trip down to Essex on Sunday to face Chelmsford in the HA cup with a pass to the Quarter finals the prize for the winners.

Having made the long trip from Durham down to Chelmsford, Olton were clearly fatigued in the opening half as Chelmsford enjoyed the bulk of the possession in the opening minutes.

The visitors were guilty of slow ball transfer and poor discipline and were broken down after seven minutes after possession was lost deep in the Chelmsford half.

This prompted Olton into a spell of good pressure and an opportunity to equalise from a short corner, however, Sukhdeep Sidhu’s effort travelled harmlessly wide of the goal.

Chelmsford on the other hand took their second chance of the day well taking the score to 2-0 on 31 minutes.

In the second half, Olton battled back and forced a goal back through Edwin Waters, however, their late pressure was not enough to equalise the score line and force extra time.

Olton Ladies 1st XI 2

Canterbury Ladies 1st XI 7

Olton welcomed League-leaders Canterbury to Grange Road, and started the game in fine fashion, applying pressure and playing the game in the visitors’ half.

With only three minutes gone this was rewarded with a goal from Denise Marston-Smith. The home crowds’ euphoria was short-lived, however, as with only a further minute gone Canterbury equalised, and then on ten minutes they took the lead. Olton stuck to the task but were unable to break back and the half finished at 2-1 to Canterbury.

The second half started as the first and Olton equalised on 41 minutes with a deflected ball off Lisa Hunter.

Olton were then unlucky not to take the lead with a couple of chances that could well have changed the game. As it was they were hit with a blistering barrage from Canterbury, who scored goals on 44, 50, 52, 55 and 59 minutes to effectively put the game to bed. Despite their best attempts Olton were unable to recover and had to settle for an unpleasant 7-2 score line to a team whose performance justifies their league position.



Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.