How we use Cookies

Olton move into fourth

Olton 1st XI 3 Harborne 1st XI 1

Olton 1st XI 3 Harborne 1st XI 1

Olton welcomed local rivals Harborne to Grange Road on Saturday for their first meeting in a domestic competition for two years.

Harborne started the game the brighter of the two sides with their midfield imposing themselves to good effect early on. Despite their early dominance, the visitors were unable to break down the Olton defence with Richard Thom and Daniel Sulway at the heart of the action.

Olton eventually got going and Jack Mallett broke the deadlock after Tom Mallett fired an impressive back hand cross into the ‘D’ on 14 minutes. Olton continued their dominance and forced a short corner three minutes later which Sukhi Sidhu converted in style. Olton went into the break with a two goal lead.

After a disappointing second half last week against Deeside, Olton were conscious the game was far from over and set off looking to take the game out of reach from Harborne.

Ed James went close on two occasions as did Jack Mallett and Michael Johnson, but old boy Steve Boyle was on hand to keep Olton at bay. That was until the 62nd minute when Jack Mallett scored again to take the score to make it three for Olton.

Harborne reacted well and pulled a goal back on 64 minutes, however, this wasn’t enough to stop Olton taking all three points in a hard fought game.

Olton move up a place in the league to fourth, three points behind league leaders Doncaster.

Next week Olton embark upon a tour of the UK with an away fixture on Saturday against second placed Durham University in the League and an away fixture against Chelmsford in the Cup on Sunday.

Brooklands Poynton Ladies 1st XI 3

Olton Ladies 1st XI 2

Olton Ladies travelled to bottom of the table Brooklands for what proved to be the ultimate ‘game of two halves’.

The first half started with the home team playing at a hectic pace, pressuring the Olton ladies and racing to be first to every loose ball. They got their reward with Katie Maltman opened the scoring for Brooklands after seven minutes. The home team continued to press and force errors, getting their rewards through a brace of goals from Natalie Wray. Olton had to walk off at half time 3-0 down.

After a tough half-time talk, Olton dominated the game and controlled the play. Denise Marston-Smith opened their account with a goal from open play on 40 minutes. Fifteen minutes later, Lucilla Parkes pulled another one back. With 15 minutes left, Olton laid siege to the Brooklands goal creating chance after chance, but unable to put the ball into the back of the net - playing the last two minutes with 11 outfield players.

EHA Ladies Cup

Olton Ladies 3 Firebrands 1

Sunday saw Olton welcome Bristol side Firebrands Ladies in the latest round of the cup.

Olton took the game comfortably at 3-1 with goals from Lisa Hunter, Emma McCabe and Rachel Clift, always looking as though - if needed- they could have raised their game to put it further beyond the visitors.

As a result of the win they have been drawn away against Manchester side Bowden in the next round.



Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.