How we use Cookies

Solihull lose out to stronger rival side

Midlands 1 West Solihull 0 - 17 Camp Hill

Midlands 1 West Solihull 0 - 17 Camp Hill

SOLIHULL entertained local rivals Camp Hill on Saturday and started well in the early stages, having the upper hand in the scrum.

Despite all the field position, Camp Hill could find no way through the Solihull defence, and were restricted to four penalties in the first period to go into the break 0-12 up (all scored by Ian Briggs).

As soon as the second half kicked off the wind and rain eased, allowing Camp Hill to kick out of defence and clear their lines, a luxury that Solihull had not enjoyed in the first period. Despite great breaks from Tom Kirtland, returning veteran Simon Petitt and winger James Hughes, Solihull could not find the vital scoring move. Pushing for the elusive try in the last five minutes, fly half Cole’s wayward chip landed in the hands of Ben Simon who ran 60 meters to give Camp Hill an unassailable 0-17 lead.

Midlands West 4 (South)

Birmingham Exiles 8 - 34 Evesham

EVESHAM came to Bickenhill as current league leaders, scoring an average of 39 points a game, and immediately showed why.

Within just a few minutes, the visitors took a 14 point lead following two tries and two conversions. Just before half time, Exiles were awarded a penalty, which Elliott Johnstone kicked between the posts. Early in the second half Evesham extended their lead as Andy Robinson went over, and a similar move took the visitors past the 20 point mark as Ben Holme went over. Exiles hit back with a try as winger Loveridge went over, but a penalty saw Evesham pull away and a try in the final minute adding gloss to the final scoreline.

Midlands Division 3 West (North)

Bishops Castle 10 - 5 Old Yardleians

THE scoring was opened on a sticky pitch when some good tactical kicking from Old Yardleians saw Hendrick go over for a try, on 13 minutes.

OY’s struggled to cope with the wet ball as errors began to creep in, culminating in a penalty for Bishops Castle and a score just before half time.Bishops Castle enjoyed significant possession in the second half and scored a converted try to take the lead for the first time. They held onto the slender lead until the final whistle.

Midlands 2 West (North)

Aston Old Edwardians 17 - 7 Old Saltleians

SALTS travelled to take on local rivals and current league leaders on a wet and windy afternoon - the conditions hindering both teams as half time recorded no score.

Both teams faced up at the start of the second half and were in determined mood. Old Ed’s capitalised on a penalty to bring the first points to the board, but not long after Salts were the first to score a try as Sam Turner went over.

After much trying, Old Ed’s found a gap and crossed the line for their opening try. The game at this point could have gone either way, but as it was Old Eds who went over to seal the win.

Midlands 2 West (South)

Worcester Wanderers 30 - 15 Silhillians

WORCESTER took an early lead through a penalty but the Sils’ determination saw their rolling maul gaining more and more territory.

The visitors’ first score came off the back of a push from the forwards, Nic Powell receiving a pass to score by the posts, converted by Dave Grey. Worcester scored a late penalty to see the visitors go into half time with a one point lead.

The Sils scored an early penalty in the second half, but Worcester scored an unconverted try to bring the scores to within a point again. As the Sils tired, the home team showed their class and scored two excellent tries. Despite this, the Sils kept going and got a score of their own but it wasn’t enough as Worcester ran off winners.

Midlands 2 West (South)

Berkswell & Balsall 7 - 13 Kidderminster

AFTER 14 minutes B’s eventually made their first half advantages count, with a well taken try from captain Joe Cart.

But straight from the re-start, Kidderminster hit back and soon had the ball out and over the line.

With the scores level starting the second half, Berkswell were kept pinned back in their own half and conceded a penalty, which the away side scored. Kidderminster applied pressure and it was to Berkswell’s credit that they lasted until four minutes from time before a second penalty sailed over for the visitors.



Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.