How we use Cookies

Solihull's Bees one step away from glory after crushing Tynedale

BEES are just one match away from winning promotion to the new all professional rugby championship after this stunning victory over mighty Tynedale.

BEES are just one match away from winning promotion to the new all professional rugby championship after this stunning victory over mighty Tynedale.

Tynedale it will be remembered beat Birmingham Solihull 26-24 at Sharmans Cross Road earlier in the season but had no answer to the high tempo running rugby of the visitors which saw winger Simon Hunt power his way to a hat trick.

It means next week’s clash at home to Redruth (kick off 3pm) could hand Bees the league title if they cannot combat the type of rugby that left Tynedale clutching at shadows.

“We play a high risk, high tempo game and one of the consequences of that is that we will concede points, but the rewards are major,” said delighted player coach Russell Earnshaw speaking directly after the Tynedale victory.

“The lads were really up for this. We travelled up on Friday, stayed overnight nearby and got the journey out of our legs so we were looking to play some running rugby.”

They were well supported too, bringing with them the largest contingent on travelling fans seen at Corbridge for some time.

Bees set their stall out early with a rampaging run by flanker Chris Brightwell right from the kick off. Fellow flanker Rob Connolly them brought gasps from the main stand as he flattened the home side’s winger then generous applause as he went over for the first try of the match after full back Reece Spee had split the defence with a kick and catch.

That was on 23 minutes and straight from the re-start leading national league try scorer Hunt powered his way over. On 32 minutes he scored again, collecting a neat kick from centre Rod Petty that cut out the entire defence and bounced into his grateful hands.

However, throwing the ball around does have its risks and Tynedale hit back with an interception try for replacement winger James Hoyle to add to an earlier penalty kicked by lock Andy Murray.

However Bees, after flirting with yellow cards following a spate of penalties, were now in top gear and fly half Mark Woodrow rounded off the half with a fine solo try from his own kick and chase that also bagged the bonus point.

Tynedale however kept their heads up, replacement winger Jamie Hoyle, having already nabbed an interception try on 37 minutes grabbed another on 45, but the home side had no answer to Hunt who high stepped his way to a hat trick through a flailing defence on 62.

With Tynedale now tiring lock Alex Davidson powered over from short range before Petty rounded off the visitors’s scoring with a final try on the 80. Woodrow kick five conversions and although scrum half Ross Samson scored a consolation try deep in injury time for Tynedale it was all too late. Fly half Gavin Beasley kicked two conversions for the home side.

It all makes this Saturday’s match against Redruth essential viewing for all rugby fans. Kick off 3pm, tickets £10.



Cathrina Hulse
Multimedia Journalist
Annette Belcher
Multimedia Journalist
Full newsroom contact details
Tell us what's happening in your area.